Friday, September 13, 2013

BDSM Safety: Why I Hate Handcuffs.

Quick question: What is one of the most readily available and easily recognizable kinky toys in the box?

If you answered "Handcuffs" you win a prize. I'm not sure what prize, but it's a prize and that's pretty cool. Unless it's a bad prize, like a garbage bag full of my dog's shed fur... But don't worry. I won't do that to you, I'm not a sadist (or that much of a sadist anyways).

They're often one of the first toys people will buy to start building their toy box and one of the first toys couples (or solo folks) might play with. Handcuffs are available pretty much anywhere kid's toys are sold or anywhere adult novelties are available, they're often reasonably priced (or down-right cheap if you get them in the toy department of any big box store), and quite a few people still have a set sitting around from our Cops and Robbers days.

Handcuffs are easy to get into and out of (really easy if they have that safety release catch), You can get them with adorable furry covers in lots of colors and patterns to spice things up, and if you're a total badass you can hang them from your rearview mirror in your car, thus showcasing your badassery and kinkiness to all and sundry.

Handcuffs are a ubiquitous part of BDSM. They're such a stereotypical toy that even this chick knew about how uber-super kinky they were:


But me? I hate handcuffs. I hate that they're on the cover of that silly book, I hate that they're so available, and I really hate the fact that people will use the damn things without even thinking about one rather important fact: Handcuffs are made for restraining criminals. They're really not a toy.

Do you know what law enforcement types are thinking about when they slap a pair of handcuffs on a bad guy? Keeping the bad guy from escaping. That's it. they don't care if those hard-edged cuffs are too tight and cut off circulation. They don't care if the cuffs are pressing on a nerve and cause nerve damage (which can last hours or forever). They don't especially care if the cuffs twist and fracture any one of the tiny, delicate bones in the wrist... Keeping that bad guy from doing any more bad things is their only concern.

It really bothers me that a tool for law enforcement officers is sold to the unsuspecting public as a toy that is in any way appropriate or safe to play with, because they're not. It bothers me that handcuff imagery is so pervasive in kinky play that handcuffs are made out to be an appropriate, safe toy, because they're not. Handcuffs are not safe and when there are so many other ways to restrain someone it boggles my little submissive mind that more people are not including this "toy" in their "Stuff to not play with without education and risk awareness" lists.

So that's it: Why I hate handcuffs. I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole and I certainly wouldn't use them on someone whose well-being I cared about. The risk is just too high for me to do that in good conscience.

And plus, with handcuffs you don't get the delicious scent of leather wafting about whenever you move your arms like you do when you sport a lovely pair of leather cuffs (which can also be locked to prevent escape).

No comments:

Post a Comment