Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Analogy Fail

So earlier today I was chatting with a baby seal..

In case you don't know, a baby seal is my analogy for the sort of new submissive who flops around all helpless-like, much in the way a baby seal does, just waiting to get hit over the head by a DomlyDom (except for real seals it's a club) and turned into the perfect subby (or if you're a seal, a seal coat or something).

Anyways, I was chatting with this baby seal and she was all, "I don't understand! How can I be a submissive AND be a mom! I am confused and stuff!" And because I have an affinity for analogies I tried to think of something simple that she could wrap her baby seal head around.

So I asked her to go get a hard cover book and I made the hardcover book analogy.

I said that the dust jacket (the paper that protects the actual book from damage) was like the part of a person that everybody can see or touch. Skin, hair, freckles, that's our dust jacket.

Then I moved on to strengths and weaknesses, because for some reason folks tend to think that for some reason a strong, competent, short-tempered person cannot be a strong, competent, short-tempered submissive.

I imagined the cover of the book to be made up of our strengths and weaknesses- I like to think that I'm fairly strong, mostly capable, intelligent, slightly amusing, a little too short-tempered, and maybe on occasion impatient, so those were the things that were part of my cover.

Inside the dust jacket and cover are the pages of the book.

On each page there's a word I use to describe who I am:
Mom
Best Friend
Sibling
Submissive
Daughter
Cousin
Wife
So on and so forth.

All those pages make up the book. They're all there inside the Squeaky dust jacket and the cover. I am all of these things at the same time.

And because those pages are all there inside the cover they're all equally affected by the strengths and weaknesses of that cover.

An intelligent mom is an intelligent submissive is an intelligent friend.
A snarky sibling is a snarky submissive is a snarky daughter.

And even when I might be paying more attention to one page at a given time (say the submissive page) because that page is just part of the entire book, I am still all of the things on the other pages as well. I'm still a mom, daughter, friend, sibling, etc.

So I was pretty pleased with myself. I thought I'd made a pretty good, understandable analogy. A fairly simple way to point out that a person can be more than one thing at once.

Until the baby seal said, "Does it matter if my book only has 50 pages? I couldn't find a bigger book."

*HeadDesk*

No comments:

Post a Comment