Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I Like Doing It Wrong.

I see a lot of that on the wide world of webkink. Maybe not folks coming right out and saying, "You're doing it wrong!" but many of them complaining, bitching, or just pondering why everybody else isn't doing it their way.
"So-and-so lets their sub have an opinion!"
"All subs should bow and scrape and call be Lord High Master of Everthing Ever!"
"You're not a real sub if you don't like shrimping!"
"True Masters beat their subs at high noon every day!"
"All kinksters should be into pain!"
or the slightly less annoying but still confusion-causing:
"I don't get why all subs don't call all D-types by their titles. It's what's right."
"I like being bonked with a duck, everybody should enjoy being bonked by a duck."
"i like to talk about U/us like this because it's respectful to A/all and i think it's what E/everybody should do."

Meh. No. It that's what you want, what works for you, and great! It works for you. It makes you happy and fulfilled and that's important. But expecting it to be what works for everybody?

In one of the groups I participate in this is referred to as "One Twue Way-ism." The belief that if not everybody is doing it the way you do it they're doing it wrong.

I often wonder why it's such a big deal. Is it insecurity? Does the idea of others practicing their kink in your way make you feel more secure in the idea that you are, indeed, doing it right? Is it a total lack of courtesy for others preferences that makes people insist that there's a "right" and "wrong" way of doing BDSM? And then bashing others for doing it "wrong"?

I don't know. It's something I think about because I don't understand it. I'm personally rather fond of Cookie's and my dynamic. I like that he doesn't require bowing and scraping. He likes my friskiness and opinions. We like how we do things. And if there was a One True Way Of Doing BDSM, well, we'd fail or we wouldn't be doing it.

Seriously. There is no universal truth. No One True Way. No right or wrong. These things are all so subjective that it seems a bit illogical to expect them to work for everybody instead of just being happy they your truth works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment