Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Responsibility

Last night in my epic fit of continuing boredom I was skulking the web and I ran across this kid who's "Master" wanted her to find a female fuck buddy. She wasn't comfortable with the idea, and she wasn't sure how to go about this task, so she asked the community for advice.

And then a few responses into the thread she said:
"I guess what I was trying to get at, is that, I'm allowed to say no to him, right?"

This is what she got in return:
"Umm if you call him "master" and you mean it, then no you don't get a say in the matter.

If you are just playing at him being "master" then sure. Take away the power you gave him and say no any time the mood strikes you."

This is where responsibility comes in.

When I reply to a post, especially something that might be cause for concern (like someone asking if they can say "no.") I mine their profile for information. I want to give accurate advice. I don't want to say something that might inadvertently cause harm.

So I looked at the OP's profile.
She's 18.
She joined that site 11 days ago.
She was single and looking then.
Now she has a "Master"?
She doesn't know if she's allowed to say "no" to something she's not comfortable with?

And the "advice" she got... That unless she's just "playing" at M/s she cannot say no? Something inside me just went a little nuts.

It wasn't until later that I figured it out- Somewhere out there I could have a kid who's 18. A daughter. Maybe she's on a site like this, maybe she's uncertain, insecure, confused. And the idea that someone could be giving her a guilt trip and telling he that unless she's faking (and not a Real & True s-type) she's obligated to do whatever this "Master" wants... Irresponsible drivel!

That's what got me thinking about responsibility. I feel like I have a responsibility to provide sound advice, not only because it might help the person who's asking, but because it might help the community be a better place... And the person I'm advising- That's someone's kid. That could be my kid. And even though I don't know her I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

I don't want someone's irresponsible, bad advice to hurt her or anybody else's child.

So, to the question:
What responsibility do we have to the community, especially the young and vulnerable members, to help keep them safe?

This has been stewing in my brain or little while now and it finally came to a head, like a bloated zit that's been percolating painfully just under the skin for entirely too long until it erupts. The sort that you don't realize how much it hurts until it really really hurts.

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment